Thursday 12 February 2015

I’m in no rush to marry - Gifty Anti


Maverick TV presenter and host of The StandPoint,
Gifty Anti, says despite being single at the age of
45, she is not desperate to get married.
She told Showbiz last Tuesday that, she has found
the “right man” but she is not in a hurry to settle
down because the decision is not in her power.
“I don’t hate men and I’m not against marriage.
Besides, it is not the woman who decides but the
man. The woman can only drop hints but the final
decision depends on the man and what he wants. I
think I will marry when my man is ready but if not, I
don’t think I’m so desperate for it.
Narrating her “ordeal” as a spinster, Gifty Anti said
for the past years, she has had to endure pressure
from family and close relations to get married but
she has grown to accept the fact that marriage is
not a competition and that she was hopeful in
“God’s own time, His will will be done”.
For many young successful ladies like Gifty Anti,
their quest to soar high in their respective careers
is rather perceived to hinder their progress in
marriage but for the CEO of GDA concepts, that is a
wrong judgement since it discourages ladies from
seeking greater heights in their respective fields of
endeavour.
She said that is not enough reason to judge any
person since one’s success could not be tied to the
person’s potential of finding a man or not.
“That is what our society has turned women into.
How can a lady’s success drive away the men who
claim they appreciate her? Shouldn’t they rather
take pride in their success? But that is the society
we live in. If you are not strong, you fall for it.
“In the past, I used to envy married couples but with
years of experience, I’ve grown to admire them.
I’ve come to realise that we all have a purpose in
this life and it is for everyone to appreciate his/her
usefulness on this earth.
“Everybody has the destiny. I know married women
who have excelled and single women as well. I
don’t think a person’s contribution to society should
be weighed by the marital status,” she stated.
For her, TV may have brought her some popularity
but it has been both a “blessing and a curse” since
it has denied her of her privacy, one that she has
had to endure for years.
ADVERTISEMENT
Talking of her journey in television, Gifty Anti
described it as “rough”.
“Why would anyone assume that I don’t deserve to
discuss marriage issues on my show because I’ve
never been married and don’t have a child? We sit
in Ghana and praise the works of Oprah Winfrey, we
even appreciate the likes of Ellen Degeneres yet we
think Gifty Anti doesn’t have the moral right to talk
about important issues like marriage because she
has no child or is not married.
“I believe I’m on this earth to serve a purpose and
even though I didn’t realise that in my life early, I’m
happy I discovered it and I’m pursuing that for the
good of the society. I don’t think I need to be
married before impacting the society. When I die
today and I make it to heaven which is my wish, I
don’t think God will judge me because I’m childless
or not married. No, it will be about how I put into
good use my talent and that is what I’m working
at”, she said.
After 17 years as a newscaster, it is just right for
anyone to think that Gifty Anti will miss that which
shot her to fame but surprisingly, when she was
asked, she replied in the negative. “Sincerely, I
don’t miss being on TV reading the news or hosting
the Breakfast show. Probably, it’s because I’m
doing what I love to do most, to seek the welfare of
many young girls in desperate situation”.
As a feminist, Gifty Anti’s desire is to empower
many young girls to “appreciate their worth” and
that desire was translated into action when she
established The Girl In Need Foundation which she
said has been an “eye-opener” to the plights of
many young girls and also to reach out to them. She
entreated the youth to appreciate the essence of
hard work and make great sacrifices since
success doesn’t come in a day.
Her last words, “Plan your life so that when the
opportunity presents itself, you will be ready and
know your purpose in life”.

No comments:

Post a Comment