Sunday 18 January 2015

Song Theft: Criss Waddle and Joey B Stole Their Latest Hits Pepeepe and Otoolege From Underground Artistes

Fast rising African rapper and songwriter, TRUTH ,
released couple of jaw breaking singles in the 2014,
with the song ‘NOKWARE’ produced by Dare and
released on the 19th of August, 2014. Fast forward
to the 18th of December, 2014, JOEY B released his
OTOOLEGE song with beat and rhythm from the
same samples of ‘Nokware’. The artiste in this
interview with us has stated that his argument isn’t
to create discourse on issues that affect the
Ghanaian music industry but he feels he cannot
bear it any more than to speak out.
Happy New Year to you. How will you say 2014
impacted your life as a rapper from Africa?
Happy new year to you too, well you know 2014
was a learning experience. It wasn’t easy and it will
never be easy. You know trying to bring out
something new is always challenging so in 2014, I
decided to study a lot by listening to new stuffs and
even though I am a rapper I just don’t just rap, I
like to write songs too so I listen to different kinds
of genre of music and different kinds of musicians
like Youssou N’Dour, Fela Kuti, Jimie Hendrix etc…
So in 2014 it was all about working and learning and
it didn’t stop there I’m still doing that so that I can
bring out the best all the time.
What and what did you do right and wrong in the
last year?
I won’t say there is something I did wrong last year
but since I wanted people to accept my new style I
went through a lot of experiences which I did learn
something from them, because when you are less
patients it puts pressure on u which will make your
decisions have emotions in them, which is not right.
Before I met the right people am working with now,
there are some people I met before and I think they
were wrong for my career but now everything feels
right.
You churned lots of banging singles in 2014, how
well did the public accept you with your kind of
style?
When I dropped my style out there at first people
were like we can’t hear what he says and he talks
about stuffs that will offend people but I continued to
show them what I got because I knew one day they
will accept it and God being so good they did
especially with my song “NOKWARE” which is still
making an impact.
ADVERTISEMENT
You are gradually becoming the toast of every
young person on the street with your kind of songs;
does it sometimes get into your head knowing that
your name is expanding?
I don’t let compliments get into my head because
every single day I feel like I have someone else to
impress but I do appreciate it a lot when someone
tells me he/she likes what I do.
Recently there was a gist in town that Joey B used
your beat or song, can you share what really
happened?
You know when I heard that I was like “hold up”
musicians do sample different songs all the time so
if Joey did that on his single “Otolege” it is not such
a big deal but yeah Joey did take some part of my
composition which he should have given some
credit to me but since he didn’t it doesn’t feel right
so yeah that’s the only issue but apart from that am
cool with it and it even tells how far that song
“NOKWARE” is making an impact so yeah is cool.
Do you feel bad that people use others work
without duly accrediting the original owner?
Sampling others song is not a bad thing, we all do it
every musician does it but not giving credit to the
owner or consulting them first might not be the right
thing to do.
What is the way forward for you in 2015?
As I said I did learn a lot 2014 and did a lot of work
too so this year is all about putting great works out

No comments:

Post a Comment